beach holidays in the sun
scroll down for more information
Climate and Weather
Cyprus enjoys the warmest climate in the Mediterranean part of the EU with average annual temperatures of 24C. The summer (holiday) season lasts around 8 months, beginning in April (22C average) and ending in November (22C average).
July and August is usually hot with average temperatures around 33C whilst June and September average around 30C. Temperatures inland are generally more extreme with colder winters and hotter summers compared to coastal regions.
Cyprus enjoys an Mediterranean climate of hot dry summers starting in mid-May and lasting until mid-September. Mild winters (November to mid-March, with January being the coldest month) with almost year-round clear skies and sunshine, make Cyprus an ideal year round holiday destination. During the winter months (usually January and Fenruary) snow can fall on the mountains where ski and snowboard facilities are available. It is a truly amazing climate where you can ski in the mountains and within an hour be sunbathing by the sea!
Sea temperatures hover above 22C from June to November, climbing to 27C in August. Even during the winter average sea temperatures are 16/17C.
Air humidity ranges from average to slightly low (65% – 95%). During summer it is very low near midday, ranging from 15% to 30%. Fog is rare and visibility is normally very good or excellent with the exception over a few days in spring when the atmosphere is very hazy due to dust from the Arabian and African deserts.
Cyprus enjoys a very sunny climate compared with most countries with 11.5 hours of bright sunshine per day over the six summer months and even during the winter months of December and January there is 5.5 hours of sunshine a day. Winds are relatively variable in direction and strength depending on the elevation of the land and local temperatures.
Clothing requirements vary, depending on the length and the period of your visit.
- April and May: days are pleasantly warm, but temperatures may drop at night. Spring and summer apparel and long sleeved tops or light jackets for the evenings are recommended.
- June to August: hot day and night. Very light summer clothing is a must.
- September to October: warm days and cool evenings. Light apparel for the day and long sleeves for the evenings in October is recommended.
- November: has pleasantly warm days that can be enjoyed in jumpers and light jackets.
- December to February: winter, even though it feels more like autumn for most visitors, sunny with occasional rain. Winter clothing is necessary, but not heavy coats.
- March: moderate but sometimes unpredictable weather. Winter clothing may be needed at the beginning of the month but usually spring summer apparel as April approaches.